Over 11,000 Foreign POGO Workers Remain in the Philippines Despite Ban – Pagcor

- Advertisement -

MORE than 11,000 foreign workers linked to the now-outlawed Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGO) industry remain in the country past the government-mandated deadline, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) reported Thursday.

According to the Bureau of Immigration (BI), over 22,000 of the 33,863 registered foreign POGO workers had already left the country by the end of 2024.

- Advertisement -

However, the remaining non-compliant workers are now the target of ongoing law enforcement operations, BI chief legal officer Arvin Santos told the Senate Committee on Games and Amusements.

POGO LICENSES CANCELED
Before President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. ordered the POGO ban, the industry had 42 licensed internet gaming operators, seven gaming content providers, and 11 support service providers. Pagcor confirmed that all licenses have since been revoked.

“As of January 1, 2025, all 42 internet gaming licensees and all 18 authorized providers have been canceled,” said Jessa Mariz Fernandez, Pagcor’s Assistant Vice President for Offshore Gaming Licensing.

ILLEGAL ‘ GUERILLA’ OPERATIONS CONTINUE
Despite the crackdown, some POGO operators have reportedly gone underground, running covert “guerrilla” operations, Pagcor Senior Vice President for Security and Monitoring Cluster Raul Villanueva told the Senate panel.

“We have plenty of targets now because some of these groups have shifted to secretive operations,” Villanueva said, adding that concerned citizens have sent emails reporting illegal activities.

- Advertisement -

Pagcor also revealed that 276 illegal gaming websites—offering services such as e-sabong and online casino games—have been identified. However, only 136 have been successfully blocked.

The Marcos administration banned POGOs in 2024 due to their links to serious crimes, including kidnapping, human trafficking, online fraud, and even torture.

Authorities continue to crack down on remaining illegal operators and foreign workers who have failed to leave the country.

- Advertisement -

Latest

DFA Denies Reports of Bail for Detained Filipinos in Qatar

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has refuted circulating...

Malacañang Assures Public Amid Taiwan Invasion Fears; Gov’t Ready to Repatriate Filipinos

Malacañang has reassured the public that there is no...

Philippine Navy to Deploy New Warships to West Philippine Sea, Northern Luzon

The Philippine Navy is set to deploy its new...

Woman Dies, Two Injured After Truck Reverses Into Kuliglig

A woman was killed, while two others sustained injuries...

Three Dead, Three Injured in Motorcycle Collision in Isabela

Three people died, while three others sustained injuries in...

Newsletter

Philippines Mobilizes Humanitarian Aid for Myanmar Earthquake Victims

The Philippine government has swiftly mobilized humanitarian aid to assist Myanmar following the devastating 7.7-magnitude earthquake that claimed over 1,000 lives. In a statement, the...

Palace Assures Readiness in Case ‘The Big One’ Strikes

The Philippine government has assured the public of its preparedness in the event of 'The Big One,' a potential catastrophic earthquake. According to Palace Press...

Philippine Army’s 525th Combat Engineer Battalion to Aid Earthquake-Hit Myanmar

The Philippine Army’s 525th Combat Engineer Battalion (525CEB) will join the Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) to assist earthquake victims in Myanmar. Col. Michael Rey...