Comelec rejects appeal of 18 Senatorial Candidates classified as Nuisance

- Advertisement -

MANILA — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has rejected the motions for reconsideration (MRs) filed by 18 senatorial aspirants who had been previously declared nuisance candidates for the 2025 May elections.

Comelec Chairman George Erwin Garcia revealed the decision on Friday, announcing that all 18 appeals had been denied.

- Advertisement -

“These are the motions for reconsideration from those who were declared as nuisance candidates. All of their motions have been denied,” Garcia told reporters.

A total of 91 senatorial candidates filed MRs after the poll body ruled that 117 individuals lacked a genuine intention to run for public office.

Garcia added that the Comelec plans to finalize decisions on national nuisance cases by the end of the day, while local cases are still being resolved. “We expect to finalize the list by December 13, including resolutions at the en banc level,” he said.

The list of rejected MRs includes the following candidates:

- Advertisement -
  • Francis Leo Antonio Marcos
  • Felipe Fernandez Montealto Jr.
  • Orlando Caranto de Guzman
  • Mauel Lim Andrada
  • Sonny Miranda Pimentel
  • Elpidio Rosero Rosales Jr.
  • Jaime Balmas
  • Pedro Gonzales Ordiales
  • John Rafael Campang
  • Robeito Sembrano
  • Romulo Tindoc San Ramon
  • Fernando Fabian Diaz
  • Luther Gascon Meniano
  • Romeo Castro Macaraeg
  • Subair Guinthum Mustapha
  • Monqiue Solis Kokkinaras
  • Berteni Cataluna Causing
  • Alexander Encarnacion

The period for filing certificates of candidacy (COCs) took place from October 1 to October 8, with 183 senatorial candidates and 156 party-list groups submitting their Certificates of Nomination and Acceptance (CONAs).

Earlier, the Comelec released an initial list of senatorial aspirants whose names may be included on the official ballot for next year’s elections.

However, the poll body clarified that this list was provisional, subject to the final decisions of the Comelec divisions or the en banc regarding the petitions to declare certain candidates as nuisance bets.

The Comelec’s move follows a ruling by the Supreme Court, which stated that factors like unpopularity or lack of political party affiliation are not grounds for declaring someone a nuisance candidate.

- Advertisement -

According to Comelec’s Rules of Procedure, a candidate can be declared a nuisance if their candidacy is seen as a mockery of the election process, causes confusion among voters, or involves other acts that undermine the integrity of the electoral system.

If found to be a nuisance, candidates can have their certificates of candidacy denied or canceled, preventing them from participating in the elections.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Surpasses 3,000 as Rescue Efforts Continue

The death toll from the magnitude 7.7 earthquake in...

Sandiganbayan Rejects Jinggoy Estrada’s Appeal to Dismiss Graft Cases

The Sandiganbayan has denied Senator Jinggoy Estrada’s appeal to...

17 Filipino OFWs in Qatar Granted Provisional Release – DMW

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) has confirmed that...

Filipina Marine Conservationist Honored as 2025 International Woman of Courage

Angelique Songco, the superintendent of Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park...

DFA Denies Reports of Bail for Detained Filipinos in Qatar

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has refuted circulating...

Newsletter

Senator Tolentino Hails Submission of Talampas ng Pilipinas Chart as a Victory

“Isang tagumpay para sa soberanya ng Pilipinas!” The submission of the 'Talampas ng Pilipinas' chart to the International Seabed Authority (ISA) is a victory for...

More names emerge as ‘Beneficiaries’ of VP Sara’s confidential funds – House Leader

More names have surfaced as alleged "beneficiaries" of the Office of the Vice President’s (OVP) confidential funds, according to a House of Representatives leader...

Philippines Mobilizes Humanitarian Aid for Myanmar Earthquake Victims

The Philippine government has swiftly mobilized humanitarian aid to assist Myanmar following the devastating 7.7-magnitude earthquake that claimed over 1,000 lives. In a statement, the...