15 people are dead and dozens are missing after a landslide at an illegal mine in Indonesia

- Advertisement -

A landslide at an illegal gold mine in western Indonesia killed at least 15 people and buried dozens more in the abandoned hole, with rescue crews battling to find the missing, authorities said on Friday (September 27).

Unauthorized mines abound throughout the mineral-rich Southeast Asian archipelago, where abandoned sites attract residents looking for remaining gold metal without necessary safety equipment.

- Advertisement -

The landslide struck a remote region in West Sumatra province on Sumatra island on Thursday evening, following heavy rains, local disaster mitigation agency spokesperson Ilham Wahab told AFP.

“The information we can provide was that a landslide occurred at a gold mine last night, causing several people to be buried. Efforts to search for the victims are ongoing,” he said.

Ilhan claimed that 15 people were killed and three were injured, with rescuers looking for 25 more.

AFP footage showed rescuers transferring one of the deceased into an ambulance near the catastrophe site in Solok.

- Advertisement -

The avalanche occurred within an abandoned “illegal” mine, according to an announcement released to AFP by the Solok district disaster office.

“The landslide location is on an old mining pit that had been abandoned by previous miners,” according to the statement.

Ilham stated that all activities at the site had been paused while searching for the missing kept ongoing.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Global sensation Sienna Spiro surprises Filipino singer with Manila meet-up

A Filipina girl's dream just came true!

Absent or Present: VP Sara’s impeachment trial set to continue

MANILA, Philippines - The impeachment trial of Vice President...

Jessica Sanchez and Morissette unite for inspiring new anthem

This is one vocal powerhouse dream come true indeed.

Jojo Mendrez gives new life to “Yakap”

The singer breathes new life to a classic hit.

Sen. Bato dela Rosa rejects calls to surrender to ICC

MANILA, Philippines - Senator Ronald dela Rosa on Wednesday...

Newsletter

Absent or Present: VP Sara’s impeachment trial set to continue

MANILA, Philippines - The impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte will continue even if she chooses not to personally appear or declines to...