SSS Unable to Collect ₱89B in Contributions in 2023 – COA

- Advertisement -

THE Social Security System (SSS) managed to collect only 4.89 percent, or ₱4.581 billion, of the ₱93.747 billion total established contributions from delinquent employers in 2023, according to a report by the Commission on Audit (COA).

Released last month, the 2023 COA audit flagged SSS for its failure to collect a significant portion of contributions, totaling ₱89.166 billion, from 420,767 delinquent employers, including both regular/business employers (ERs) and household employers (HRs).

- Advertisement -

COA cited the “inefficiency in collecting premium contributions from delinquent employers,” despite the availability of an installment payment scheme, which it said has deprived the SSS of essential funds needed to deliver timely social security benefits and claims to its members and beneficiaries.

The report highlighted that of the 420,767 delinquent employers, 349,189 active ERs, who owed ₱63.296 billion or 70.98 percent of the total amount, did not utilize the SSS installment plan for settling their overdue accounts.

“Remarkably, only 103 active ERs, with delinquent accounts totaling ₱95.308 million, representing just 0.11 percent of the total collectibles, availed themselves of the installment plan,” the COA report stated.

Additionally, the remaining 70,975 ERs—classified as either inactive, under temporary suspension or with closed/dormant accounts—accounted for ₱25.774 billion or 28.91 percent of the net collectibles.

- Advertisement -

COA noted that the SSS’s collection inefficiency could point to “leniency in the collection efforts” by certain branches or divisions of the agency.

In response, SSS stated that its Accounts Management Group (AMG)-Large Accounts Division (LAD) will intensify efforts to monitor and review delinquent accounts, ramp up collection activities, and promote the ongoing Contribution Penalty Condonation and Restructuring Programs (CPCoDe MRP) for business employers and CPCR-P for household employers.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Grandfather Shoots Granddaughter’s Boyfriend, Mistaking Him for a Thief

An 83-year-old grandfather allegedly shot and killed his granddaughter’s...

Filipinos in Taiwan Told to Prepare for China Invasion Scenario

Former Senator Panfilo Lacson has called on Filipinos in...

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol Removed from Office by Constitutional Court

South Korea's Constitutional Court has officially removed President Yoon...

NSC, DFA Probe Alleged Arrest of 3 Filipinos Accused of Espionage in China

The National Security Council (NSC) is awaiting an official...

NSC Assures Due Process for Chinese Nationals Accused of Espionage in the Philippines

The National Security Council (NSC) has assured the public...

Newsletter

17 Filipino OFWs in Qatar Granted Provisional Release – DMW

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) has confirmed that 17 Filipino overseas workers arrested for attending a protest in Doha, Qatar, on March 27...

PH Embassy in Myanmar Assesses Filipinos’ Safety After 7.7-Magnitude Earthquake

The Philippine Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar, is gathering information on the condition of all affected Filipinos following a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake on March 28. In...

Filipinos in Taiwan Told to Prepare for China Invasion Scenario

Former Senator Panfilo Lacson has called on Filipinos in Taiwan to brace for potential conflict amid the rising threat of a Chinese invasion. Lacson backed...