Sen. Lacson eyes Nov. 14 hearing on flood control scandal, to present ‘very important witness’

- Advertisement -

MANILA – Senate President Pro Tempore Panfilo “Ping” Lacson announced on Saturday that the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee will resume its investigation into alleged anomalies in flood control projects on November 14, where he intends to present a “very important witness” who could help solidify cases against politicians, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) officials, and contractors.

“If elected again as Blue Ribbon chairman on November 10, our hearing will resume on November 14,” Lacson said in a post on X (formerly Twitter). “To help speed up the filing of airtight cases against some politicians, DPWH officials, and errant contractors, we will invite, among others, a ‘very important witness’ and retired T/Sgt. Orly Guteza to shed more light on his sworn statement.”

- Advertisement -

Guteza, who Senator Rodante Marcoleta earlier presented in the committee’s September 25 hearing, claimed he once served as a security consultant for former Ako Bicol Representative Zaldy Co and allegedly delivered suitcases of cash to Co’s residence and that of House Speaker Martin Romualdez.

Both Co and Romualdez have strongly denied the allegations, with Romualdez calling them “fabricated falsehoods.”

Lacson also said the panel had earlier referred to the Executive Judge of the Manila Regional Trial Court the inquiry into the possible falsification of Guteza’s notarized affidavit to the Executive Judge of the Manila Regional Trial Court, after lawyer Petchie Rose Espera denied signing, notarizing, or participating in the document’s preparation.

The senator disclosed that he had already discussed his possible return as committee chair with Senate President Vicente Sotto III, following his step down from the post on October 6 amid reported dissatisfaction from some majority senators over his handling of the hearings.

- Advertisement -

However, Lacson said several senators have since expressed support for his reinstatement. “I will remain impartial in the investigation and go wherever the evidence leads,” he said.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Jessica Sanchez and Morissette unite for inspiring new anthem

This is one vocal powerhouse dream come true indeed.

Jojo Mendrez gives new life to “Yakap”

The singer breathes new life to a classic hit.

Sen. Bato dela Rosa rejects calls to surrender to ICC

MANILA, Philippines - Senator Ronald dela Rosa on Wednesday...

Sen Dela Rosa issued CIDG subpoena over alleged EJK cases; ordered to appear in Camp Crame inquiry

MANILA, Philippines - Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa has...

Explainer: What really happens when a vice president is impeached?

MANILA, Philippines —The House of Representatives is set to...

Newsletter

Jojo Mendrez gives new life to “Yakap”

The singer breathes new life to a classic hit.

Sen. Bato dela Rosa rejects calls to surrender to ICC

MANILA, Philippines - Senator Ronald dela Rosa on Wednesday rejected calls for him to voluntarily surrender to the International Criminal Court (ICC), insisting that...

Jessica Sanchez and Morissette unite for inspiring new anthem

This is one vocal powerhouse dream come true indeed.