Rep Tinio calls Paolo Duterte ‘ignorant’ on makabayan’s track record, reminds him google is free

- Advertisement -

ACT Teachers party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio has criticized Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo “Pulong” Duterte for allegedly misunderstanding the Makabayan bloc’s role in government oversight, reminding him that information about their legislative work is freely accessible online.

In an ambush interview on Tuesday, Tinio said Duterte might better understand Makabayan’s advocacy if he regularly attended congressional sessions. He stressed that the bloc has long been vocal against potential corruption, including during President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s administration.

- Advertisement -

“Perhaps Rep. Pulong would have a clearer picture of his duties if he actually attended sessions,” Tinio said. “He would see our efforts to hold the Marcos Jr. administration accountable, including the President himself, for a budget tainted by corruption.”

Tinio added, “Second, Google is free. He can easily look up Makabayan’s track record, not only in this Congress but in previous ones, in terms of challenging corruption during the Marcos and Duterte administrations.”

The exchange comes after Duterte accused Tinio and Makabayan of silence on government corruption while supporting an investigation into the controversial Manila Bay Dolomite Beach project, implemented during the term of his father, former President Rodrigo Duterte.

“You are quick to point fingers now, but when billions were being stolen, you were silent,” Duterte said. “Where were you when the public was enraged by brazen corruption?”

- Advertisement -

He also questioned whether anyone had been held accountable for past losses under Makabayan’s predecessors.

Tinio responded by calling Duterte “ignorant” of Makabayan’s history, emphasizing that the bloc has consistently flagged corruption regardless of which administration is in power.

He described Duterte’s criticisms as “squid tactics,” aiming to deflect accountability when the Dutertes face scrutiny.

Tinio enumerated issues Makabayan has previously raised, including the management of confidential funds, the dolomite beach project, and a P51-billion flood control budget allocated to Davao City under the previous administration.

- Advertisement -

He noted that the bloc had also opposed the 2025 General Appropriations Bill over alleged misallocation of funds and insufficient prioritization of education, which is constitutionally mandated.

The House Committee on Public Accounts, chaired by Bicol Saro party-list Rep. Terry Ridon, announced the schedule for the dolomite beach investigation on Monday morning.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Fans excited as Wolfgang Reunion Tour goes to Baguio, Davao & Cebu

The epic-ness of the Wolfgang Reunion Concert will now be shared across the fans across the country.

Rizal’s autographed El Filibusterismo fetches P21 million at auction

A first-edition copy of El Filibusterismo bearing the signature...

Death toll in MV Trisha Kerstin 3 sinking rises to 57 – PCG

THE death toll from the sinking of MV Trisha...

Dismembered man’s body found inside drum in Binondo, Manila

Manila — The dismembered body of a man concealed...

Experts urge Filipinos to prioritize heart health this February

Beyond flowers and chocolates, it's Philippine Heart Month after all.

Newsletter

Fans excited as Wolfgang Reunion Tour goes to Baguio, Davao & Cebu

The epic-ness of the Wolfgang Reunion Concert will now be shared across the fans across the country.

Death toll in MV Trisha Kerstin 3 sinking rises to 57 – PCG

THE death toll from the sinking of MV Trisha Kerstin 3 has climbed to 57 after the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) recovered three more...

Experts urge Filipinos to prioritize heart health this February

Beyond flowers and chocolates, it's Philippine Heart Month after all.