Sen. Bato claims to have ‘no idea’ of the meant reward system for cops in the drug war

- Advertisement -

SEN. Ronald Dela Rosa, chief of the Philippine National Police during the early years of the Duterte administration’s so-called drug war, claimed he is unaware of a compensation system for officers engaging in anti-narcotics activities, which a previous police official claims was copied from the “Davao Model.”

Former police colonel Royina Garma, also a former general manager of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office, informed House members on Friday that former President Rodrigo Duterte called her in May 2016 and asked her to recommend a police officer who would implement the model used in Davao City, which purportedly had a leveled reward system for drug personalities removed, on a national scale.

- Advertisement -

“I have no idea about that reward system,” Dela Rosa told one media source on Saturday.

“During my time as Chief of the Philippine National Police, I did not engage in a reward system because I did not have the funds,” Dela Rosa, a former Davao City police chief, stated.

He also stated that he had no idea what motivated Garma to testify in front of the House.

In an affidavit, Garma stated that the Davao Model included three layers of payouts or rewards for cops: “First is the reward if the suspect is killed. Second is the funding of planned operations (COPLANS). Third is the refund of operational expenses.”

- Advertisement -

Under questions from Kabataan Partylist Rep. Raoul Manuel, Garma stated that the prizes for drug personalities assassinated ranged between P20,000 and P1 million.

Manuel stated that he had received information indicating that the price fluctuated according to the seriousness of the alleged drug personality. Still, Garma stated she was “not familiar with the bracketing” of the rewards.

During the election campaign and throughout his presidency, Duterte pledged a deadly war on illegal narcotics that would fatten the fish in Manila Bay.

Authorities have confirmed more than 6,000 deaths in the drug war, but human rights groups estimate a higher number of persons slain in anti-narcotics operations.

- Advertisement -

ESPENIDO CLAIM FOR QUOTA AND REWARD SYSTEM

Police Lt. Col. Jovie Espenido, who had been involved in bloody anti-drug operations, including a 2017 raid on the Parojinog political family that killed 16 people, told the House quad committee in August that the enforcement of the Duterte government’s war on drugs included a quota and reward system.

Police officer acknowledges ‘quota, reward system’ amid Duterte’s drug war.

Espenido said that the awards for drug personalities murdered during operations came from gambling operations, including illegal games.

He further stated that the reward system was “very well-known” among the Philippine National Police.

DELA ROSA: THE ONLY REWARDS WERE FROM DILG

Dela Rosa stated on Saturday, “the only reward system in the PNP is the [Department of the Interior and Local Governemnt]-approved list of most wanted persons.”

He also stated that he does not believe in adopting a reward system since “it is a sworn duty of every police officer to keep his area of responsibility free of drugs.”

- Advertisement -

Latest

DFA Denies Reports of Bail for Detained Filipinos in Qatar

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has refuted circulating...

Malacañang Assures Public Amid Taiwan Invasion Fears; Gov’t Ready to Repatriate Filipinos

Malacañang has reassured the public that there is no...

Philippine Navy to Deploy New Warships to West Philippine Sea, Northern Luzon

The Philippine Navy is set to deploy its new...

Woman Dies, Two Injured After Truck Reverses Into Kuliglig

A woman was killed, while two others sustained injuries...

Three Dead, Three Injured in Motorcycle Collision in Isabela

Three people died, while three others sustained injuries in...

Newsletter

China Rocket Debris May Fall in Cagayan Waters, OCD Warns

The Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) Region 2 has warned of possible debris from a Chinese rocket falling into the waters off Cagayan. According...

PH Embassy in Myanmar Assesses Filipinos’ Safety After 7.7-Magnitude Earthquake

The Philippine Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar, is gathering information on the condition of all affected Filipinos following a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake on March 28. In...

Woman Dies, Two Injured After Truck Reverses Into Kuliglig

A woman was killed, while two others sustained injuries after a truck loaded with sugarcane reversed into a kuliglig at Gucab Bridge, Echague, Isabela. According...