Hong Kong fire victim was set to return home for Christmas, family says

- Advertisement -

A 40-year-old Filipino domestic worker who died in the devastating Hong Kong fire was scheduled to fly home on December 16 to spend Christmas with her 10-year-old child in Rizal, according to a media report.

The family of the victim, identified as Esteban from Jones, Isabela, is hoping her remains can be brought home as soon as possible.

- Advertisement -

“Masaya sana ang Pasko namin kaso ganyan naman ang nangyari,” said her relative, Manayon Esteban Medina. The family had also planned to celebrate the birthday of Esteban’s father, Jaime, but the tragedy had left them in mourning.

“Sana mapabilis ang pag-uwi ng mga labi… mga three weeks sana,” Jaime said.

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) assured full assistance to Esteban’s family, including arrangements for the immediate repatriation of her remains.

DMW Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac and OWWA Administrator Patricia Yvonne Caunan also visited the victim’s relatives to personally extend condolences to her child in Cainta, Rizal.

The child will receive educational assistance to ensure she can finish college, a dream her mother held for her.

- Advertisement -

Esteban had worked in Hong Kong for four years and was among the 151 fatalities in the fire that tore through seven residential high-rise buildings last week.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Fans excited as Wolfgang Reunion Tour goes to Baguio, Davao & Cebu

The epic-ness of the Wolfgang Reunion Concert will now be shared across the fans across the country.

Rizal’s autographed El Filibusterismo fetches P21 million at auction

A first-edition copy of El Filibusterismo bearing the signature...

Death toll in MV Trisha Kerstin 3 sinking rises to 57 – PCG

THE death toll from the sinking of MV Trisha...

Dismembered man’s body found inside drum in Binondo, Manila

Manila — The dismembered body of a man concealed...

Experts urge Filipinos to prioritize heart health this February

Beyond flowers and chocolates, it's Philippine Heart Month after all.

Newsletter

Death toll in MV Trisha Kerstin 3 sinking rises to 57 – PCG

THE death toll from the sinking of MV Trisha Kerstin 3 has climbed to 57 after the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) recovered three more...

Dismembered man’s body found inside drum in Binondo, Manila

Manila — The dismembered body of a man concealed inside a drum was discovered Sunday night, February 15, in front of the Delpan Sports...

Rizal’s autographed El Filibusterismo fetches P21 million at auction

A first-edition copy of El Filibusterismo bearing the signature of Jose Rizal was sold for P21 million at an auction held on February 14. According...