DepEd and DOH launch vaccination campaign in selected schools

- Advertisement -

THE Department of Education (DepEd) and the Department of Health (DOH) initiated a vaccination campaign in public schools on Monday. Education Secretary Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara acknowledged the difficulty of addressing people’s hesitancy to get vaccinated, especially in light of the Dengvaxia controversy.

Angara and Health Secretary Teodoro Herbosa inaugurated the reactivation of the government’s school-based immunization program, “Bakuna Eskwela,” at Dr. Alejandro Albert Elementary School in Manila.

- Advertisement -

The initiative will be implemented in chosen public schools throughout multiple provinces until November as part of the government’s aim to increase immunization rates against vaccine-preventable diseases nationally.

Bakuna Eskwela will concentrate on measles, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, and human papillomavirus, Angara stated.

“As Secretary Ted [Herbosa] explained, such unvaccinated youngsters could face several serious consequences. In severe situations, an unvaccinated child could die, therefore we must take this seriously,” he told reporters during a chance interview on the sidelines of the kickoff ceremony in Manila.

LOW RATE OF ACCEPTANCE

- Advertisement -

“Before, at least 90% were willing to receive the vaccine. However, with the Dengvaxia issue, this figure fell to roughly 40%,” Angara explained. “Until now, to be honest, we haven’t recovered from [that drop].”

Dengvaxia had been utilized in the Aquino government’s dengue vaccine program, which commenced in 2016. It came under fire under the Duterte administration after Public Attorney’s Office Chief Persida Acosta blamed it for the deaths of certain children who had taken the vaccine.

Angara and Herbosa, on the other hand, were optimistic that the new vaccination campaign would overcome vaccine skepticism.

“And we are hoping that the parents will sign the consent form … because we will require parental consent [before] students can get the vaccine,” Herbosa told reporters.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Latest

Grandfather Shoots Granddaughter’s Boyfriend, Mistaking Him for a Thief

An 83-year-old grandfather allegedly shot and killed his granddaughter’s...

Filipinos in Taiwan Told to Prepare for China Invasion Scenario

Former Senator Panfilo Lacson has called on Filipinos in...

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol Removed from Office by Constitutional Court

South Korea's Constitutional Court has officially removed President Yoon...

NSC, DFA Probe Alleged Arrest of 3 Filipinos Accused of Espionage in China

The National Security Council (NSC) is awaiting an official...

NSC Assures Due Process for Chinese Nationals Accused of Espionage in the Philippines

The National Security Council (NSC) has assured the public...

Newsletter

Tolentino Emphasizes Sustainable Relocation for Displaced Communities

Senate Majority Leader Francis 'Tol' Tolentino underscored the need for safe and sustainable relocation sites for communities affected by natural disasters and development projects. Speaking...

One Dead, Seven Injured as Vehicle Plunges Off Cliff

One person died while seven others were injured after a private vehicle carrying uniformed personnel and minors fell off a cliff in Purok Tuburan,...

Marcos Orders Arrest, Deportation of Foreign Vlogger Who Harassed Filipinos in Viral Video

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has condemned the harassment of Filipinos by a foreign national, asserting that it is unacceptable for foreigners to bully or...