Comelec plans to conduct mock elections by January 2025

- Advertisement -

MOCK elections for the May 2025 midterm elections are being considered by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) by the second week of January 2025.

Comelec Chairman George Erwin Garcia revealed the target date on Monday during the contract signing between the poll body and PRO V & V, Inc. for the international certification of the 2025 automated election systems (AES).

- Advertisement -

Garcia expressed hopes that all preparations would be completed by the end of December, allowing them to proceed with the mock elections as scheduled.

“We’re already behind by at least one month, but we hope to catch up and complete everything within the timeline set for the mock elections,” Garcia said.

Under Republic Act No. 9369, a technical evaluation committee is required to certify that the AES, including its hardware and software components, is operating properly, securely, and accurately, at least three months before the election date.

PRO V & V, Inc. President Ryan Jackson Cobb highlighted that this contract differs from previous ones as it involves three providers instead of one, which presents a challenge for his team. “We’ve laid out a timeline where we can get everything accomplished,” Cobb said.

- Advertisement -

Meanwhile, other Comelec activities for the 2025 elections will proceed as planned, including the local source code review (LSCR), which began last month.

The LSCR will review the source codes for the Full Automation System with Transparency Audit/Count (FASTrAC) and the Online Voting and Counting System (OVCS) for overseas voters.

The review notes will be submitted to the international certification entity as part of the certification process.

- Advertisement -

Latest

Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Surpasses 3,000 as Rescue Efforts Continue

The death toll from the magnitude 7.7 earthquake in...

Sandiganbayan Rejects Jinggoy Estrada’s Appeal to Dismiss Graft Cases

The Sandiganbayan has denied Senator Jinggoy Estrada’s appeal to...

17 Filipino OFWs in Qatar Granted Provisional Release – DMW

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) has confirmed that...

Filipina Marine Conservationist Honored as 2025 International Woman of Courage

Angelique Songco, the superintendent of Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park...

DFA Denies Reports of Bail for Detained Filipinos in Qatar

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has refuted circulating...

Newsletter

Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Surpasses 1,600

The death toll from the powerful earthquake that struck Myanmar on Friday has risen to more than 1,600. The tremor was felt as far as...

LPA Outside PAR to Continue Affecting Palawan

A low-pressure area (LPA) spotted outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) will continue to bring rains and thunderstorms to parts of Palawan. Despite moving...

Senator Tolentino Hails Submission of Talampas ng Pilipinas Chart as a Victory

“Isang tagumpay para sa soberanya ng Pilipinas!” The submission of the 'Talampas ng Pilipinas' chart to the International Seabed Authority (ISA) is a victory for...